Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice
If you've ever been to Louisiana or Mississippi, this is a staple and for good reason; it's delicious! Make it as spicy or mild as you like.
- Slow cooker
- 1 lb dry kidney beans
- 2 tsp salt
- 6 cups water
- 1 lb smoked sausage sliced or diced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 4 cups water
- 1 tbsp RealTaste Elevate seasoning or to taste
- 2 tsp thyme leaves dried
- 2 tsp oregano leaves dried
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste, or up to 2 tsp additional Elevate Elevate will make it more spicy and salt will just enhance the flavor with no additional spice.
- 3 cups cooked brown rice or rice of choice
- Soak beans in 6 cups water and 2 tsp. salt for 12-24 hours.
- Drain and rinse beans well.
- Place beans and remaining ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for about 8 hours or until beans are soft.
- Mash some of the beans against the side of the slow cooker. This will make a thicker bean gravy.
- Serve over rice.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!